Communications Remote Intern Spring Semester or Quarter
Hiring on rolling basis.
Strategy for Access NFP (StrAF) is the umbrella non-profit that manages fun4thedisabled.com. StrAF’s mission is to provide educational and entertaining documentary subjects and inspiring stories for the disability community so that they can become aware that they are an integral part of a much larger global society and that they have much to share, not in spite of their disability, but because of who they are.
The Communications Intern will gain experience in all areas of communications at StrAF including media, printed pieces, electronic communications, web content and messaging. The intern will gain high level resume, and portfolio building experience at a U.S. non-profit that expects to triple its current list of 8,000 supporters within the next year.
We are now preparing videos about problems specifically faced by people with disabilities during the quarantine. Topics include race and disability, tips to maintain your wheelchair, legal rights of the disabled, how to manage your care-givers, safety in a clinic or hospital, dental issues, a series of children's stories where the main characters have a disability (these will help parents who are now home-schooling their kids), mental health, home and community based services, nursing homes, childbirth and employment during the pandemic.·
Manage one of the following other series which will be featured by fun4thedisabled:
o Problems obtaining and maintaining a suitable wheelchair faced by the consumer, the manufacturer, the medical community, and the seating industry
o Mental Health –what benefits specific diagnoses offer to global society, how they are being perceived by private industry and the general public, and how they are treated by the medical community.
o Accessibility in Building Construction – How all disabilities must be considered in building construction and renovation and how the user must be included in conversations during planning.
· The intern will participate in the planning of documentaries and writing scripts for documentaries and blog posts.
· Assist in creating, curating and archiving multimedia content including photos, videos and publications.
· Collaborate with the team by drafting electronic documentation, website content, and other communications in supporting StrAF’s programs, as well as the organization’s overall advancement.
· Data Entry and other administrative duties as needed
· Assist in digital marketing and social media content
· Assist in grant writing and research tasks
· Other responsibilities as they develop, based on interest areas and organizational needs
· Excellent writing ability and visual ability
· Familiarity with various web and social media platforms
· As there is a potential to edit videos, some knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (premiere pro and Photoshop) would be a plus
· Commitment to disability advocacy AND inclusion
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong organizational skills with a high level of attention to detail
· Flexible, easy-going personality and sense of humor
· Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality requesting all aspects of work at all times.
Compensation: Unpaid (However we have applied for a grant which if received, the position will become part-time for a year.) You can see if it will qualify for credit through INT-300.
Position Commitment: Part Time hours a week (flexible)
Start Date: flexible
End Date: flexible
Location: This position can be done remotely with own computer. Internships have been structured so that most of the work is done independently.