Chicago Shakespeare Theater Community Outreach/Project Management Internship - Summer 2017
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Community Outreach/Project Management intern applications for Summer 2017. Applications must be received by March 1, 2017.
Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks is an abridged Shakespeare production that tours to 18 local parks, performing outdoors on a traveling stage. Since its inception in 2012, over 100,000 people of all ages have experienced Shakespeare through this free program. The Community Outreach/Project Management Interns will be key members of the Outreach Team, working closely with the Tour Project Manager, Assistant Project Manager and Community Engagement Director to build relationships with community stakeholders and to promote tour performances.
The department seeks two interns per summer, with one specializing in Community Outreach (marketing, community engagement) and another in Project Management (performance logistics, press events, initiatives with local artists and teens). This hands-on position is an excellent way to learn about the design and implementation of a grassroots, community driven, marketing campaign. Community Outreach/Project Management interns will develop valuable skills in communication, relationship building, time management and event coordination.
The Community Outreach/Project Management Intern will act as an integral member of the Marketing/PR Department, obtaining hands-on, real-world experience in a creative and supportive atmosphere. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring from Advancement Department staff, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization, and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare staff.
In addition to administrative work in support of tour outreach efforts, interns will also actively participate in community events and meetings and serve as a representative of the marketing staff at tour performances. Interns will work between 30-40 hours per week between May and August, with some weekend availability required, especially between July and August. Chicago Shakespeare's Community Outreach/Project Management internships offer a rich and challenging experience for qualified college students, recent graduates and young professionals who are actively pursuing careers in professional theater administration. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in arts administration, direct marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, and/or community outreach
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Self-starter, multi-task oriented, and computer literate
- Experience in sales, promotions, or media desirable
- Experience in community organizations, volunteer work, or grassroots campaigns desirable
- Willingness to mingle with audiences and accommodate visitors
- Familiarity with Chicago neighborhoods a plus
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) a plus
- A valid driver’s license a plus
- Assist in execution of promotions, direct mail and e-marketing projects for Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks
- Support the Assistant Project Manager in the booking and coordinating of opening acts
- Schedule and attend meetings with community stakeholders
- Update mailing lists
- Assemble press kits
- Assist planning/hosting special events
- Conduct research for press releases, outreach and special projects
- Deliver promotional materials to partner organizations within the community
- Represent the tour at Night Out in the Park events across the city
- Assist with the management of our Neighborhood Host program—an initiative designed to engage local teens with the tour through part-time employment opportunities
- Oversee a system for tracking marketing collateral
- Maintain social media connections and presence for Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks tour
To be considered for an internship position at Chicago Shakespeare Theater, applicants are asked to submit the following information:
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) in Community Outreach/Project Management, availability and how you heard about the position. Please state which internship you are interested in: Community Outreach, Project Management, or both. You do not need to submit separate applications for the Community Outreach and Project Management internship positions.
- A current CV or resume
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements
Questions? Contact Sarah Laeuchli at email@example.com.