Chicago Feminist Film Festival Outreach Intern
Start Date/End Date: October 3, 2016 – March 31, 2017
Hours per week: ~8-10 hours/week
The Chicago Feminist Film Festival showcases independent film spanning documentary, fiction, and experimental genres, and that aims to address issues of gender, sexuality, race and other forms of inequality often missing from mainstream media. This in turn means creating inclusive public spaces for under-represented artists to share their work -- particularly women, people of color, people with disabilities, queer, and transgender folks, given their struggle for visibility in the mainstream film industry. Another goal is forging connections between local, national, and international film and filmmakers, and by extension incorporating Columbia College students into that local-global network. The over-arching assumption behind the festival is that art plays a vital role in bringing people together and encouraging them to think deeply about issues of equality and social justice. This will be the 2nd year of the Chicago Feminist Film Festival, to be held March 1, 2, and 3 in Film Row Cinema.
The Chicago Feminist Film Festival is seeking an Outreach Intern to help with the programming and logistics for this year’s festival. The Outreach Intern is responsible for:
· outreaching to and networking with student organizations, centers, classes, and student leaders to collaborate and spread awareness about the Chicago Feminist Film Festival
· outreaching to and networking with community organizations and businesses to collaborate and spread awareness about the Chicago Feminist Film Festival
· tabling and/or advertising at other related campus and community events to spread awareness about the Chicago Feminist Film Festival
· helping with promotion and marketing of the festival
· helping with the curations process
· collaborating with the Media and Communication Intern to brainstorm and coordinate ways to promote and market the festival
· coordinate volunteers for the nights of the festival
· attending bi-weekly meetings with supervisor and other festivals interns as well as other scheduled meetings as needed
The Chicago Feminist Film Festival is looking for a motivated student in Cultural Studies, Advertising, PR, Journalism, Management, or a related field. To be considered, students must have a minimum of 60 hours of credit under their belt and carry a grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Additional requirements include:
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent time management and independent critical thinking skills
· Experience with diverse and under-represented communities
· Proficient use of Microsoft Office
Previous event planning or community organizing experience is a plus but not required.
Direct supervisor name and contact info: Michelle Yates, firstname.lastname@example.org, 312-369-7382
Application instructions: Please submit a short 1-page cover letter and 1-page resume to Michelle Yates at email@example.com by Friday September 16 by 5pm.