Creative Technologist - Hardware
As a member of the Digital Experience team, you will be a bridge between the physical and digital world, supporting the greater architecture and design teams at Gensler with our Digital Experience Design team to craft truly integrated technological solutions in the built environment.
You are curious about all types of technology and appreciate how it contributes to a larger experience. You have familiarity with existing hardware technologies and media displays that push the boundaries of physical design beyond a “rectangle on a wall.” Playing with hardware excites you and building relationships with inventors and vendors lets you showcase the latest emerging commercial technologies to the rest of the team. You feel comfortable figuring out new technologies that require hardware, software, firmware and a bunch of cables (or RF) to make it all work.
The Hardware Creative Technologist will be responsible for facilitating prototypes and mockups, researching new and existing products and coordinating with vendors and client teams to support fast-paced interdisciplinary teams of developers, interaction designers, graphic designers, digital and brand strategists to deliver projects ranging from discrete digital installations to multi-faceted immersive interactive environments. The Hardware Creative Technologist will be responsible for keeping our DesignLab organized and filled with inspiring technologies and materials.
You have experience with the architecture/engineering workflow and construction process, and the ways technology systems design & integration projects fold into the built environment.
You are comfortable leading both internal teams and external vendors/partners, as well as working with high-level clients towards the success of a project. You are also self-organized and able to not only track and maintain your own work, but also regularly provide updates to project teams on progress, hurdles and topics requiring extra attention.
What You Will Do
- Collaborate with DXD team to provide creative input on experience and creative approach
- Provide technical approach and systems architecture diagrams to support experience vision
- Rapid prototype preliminary concepts
- Facilitate proof-of-concepts and technical mockups
- Organize and run point on internal, Gensler DesignLab technologies and materials
- Manage and maintain technology and materials library
- Document prototype work and provide AV systems design, design intent, and other necessary documentation
- Work with and manage partners/vendors to keep pricing and spec sheets up to date
- Manage all major milestones/deliverables regarding any hardware technologies
- Responsible to review any vendor submittals and mark them up based on design intent
- Provide on-site support for digital installations when necessary
- Develop and implement technology test plans and either organize or lead commissioning of hardware
- Serve as the primary hardware/technology lead on client projects
- Organize and lead external project teams consisting of IT/AV partners
- Relay critical project information to client teams
- Setup and maintain showcase technology across the NY office
- Research and showcase emerging technologies
- Facilitate in-house educational programs with partners or staff-members
- Create and maintain library of technological precedent
- Maintain library of technology partners and vendors and nurture those relationships
- Design multi-node installations within Microsoft Windows networked environments, working with the IT department to ensure proper Group Policy and security settings
- Plan, design and support large and small scale networking solutions, including 1/5/10G, fiber, switches, IP-based media and media conversion, enterprise network storage solutions and network security
- Design and support video routing and processing hardware solutions, including Lightware and Datapath
- Design and support network-based video solutions, including SDI and NDI
- Design and support networked-based audio solutions, including Dante and QSC
- Develop and support IoT applications on Microsoft Azure
- Minimum 6 years of experience
- Organized and excited to solve problems using technology and materials
- People person who can coordinate between multiple parties to organize mockups and reviews
- Ability to present technology solutions to non-technical audience
- Comfortable in a workshop environment using basic woodworking tools to build mockups
- Familiarity with projection, LED, LCD, dynamic lighting, multi-channel audio systems, supervisory control systems and other commercial AV hardware, and how they connect together
- Experience reading, creating, and directing others in producing 2D/3D Architectural and Technical drawings in Vectorworks or AutoCAD for a variety of technical systems design needs.
- Basic 3D Modeling skills in one or more of Vectorworks / AutoCAD / 3ds Max / Rhino / Sketchup
- Familiarization with supporting Content Management Systems(CMS)
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect Expert or Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate certification a plus
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) certification a plus
- Network Security Certificate (NSC) a plus
- Cisco Certified DevNet Associate a plus
- Python, C++ programming a plus
- Strong organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn quickly and understand diverse technologies and techniques.
- Experience working with and/or developing large-scale and complex content management systems a plus
- Experience with Ableton and TouchDesigner a plus
- Experience with large-scale and complex indoor/outdoor LED displays a plus
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our people’s diverse interests.
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.
Gensler is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All aspects of employment decisions will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the bases of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability you may contact us here. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues.