Contract Conservation Technician
Strange Stock Art Conservation is seeking a contract Conservation Technician. The conservation studio is located in Covington, Kentucky and provides conservation and preservation services for works on paper and photographic materials to serve a client base of institutions and individuals. The position is P/T (15-25 hours per week) at $18 - $20/hr. depending on experience.
The Conservation Technician will work to support the operations of a busy practice; duties may include artwork handling, examination, research, photo-documentation, condition reporting, proposal creation, archival rehousing, supervised treatment and preservation care for client pieces. General studio upkeep includes cleaning/maintenance, administrative tasks and supply orders.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in one or more of the following areas: Studio Art, Art History, Library Science, Chemistry, Museum Studies, Art Conservation or related field.
• 2 years experience handling works of art and/or historic artifacts within a museum environment or private practice setting.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Extremely detail oriented.
• Patient, willingness to learn.
• Excellent hand skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a small team.
• Interested in creative problem solving and troubleshooting.
• Well organized to maintain protocols for written reports, photo-documentation, project
time management and studio upkeep.
• Understanding of artist materials and mediums related to works on paper and
• Proficiency with following photo-documentation workflow.
• Experience with hand tools, power tools and specialized conservation equipment.
• General competency of chemistry and ability to follow MSDS for chemistry and safety
procedures in studio.
• Proficiency using Microsoft OS, Word/Excel, Google Docs, Adobe, Affinity, Zoom and
social media platforms.
The studio follows strict COVID-19 protocols and procedures for the safety and protection of personnel and clients.
Interested and qualified individuals may send application materials (CV, Letter of Interest and
at least two Professional References) in PDF form by January 15, 2021 to