The tastytrade family of companies (tastytrade, tastyworks, dough, the quiet foundation, The Small Exchange, luckbox) empowers individual investors by providing educational media and powerful, intuitive trading software. UX/UI design work will primarily focus on tastyworks, our derivatives trading platform, but designers can also find themselves working on other projects within the tastytrade collective as opportunities arise.
The UX/UI Designer in this role will create design solutions for a cross-platform family of trading apps (iOS, Android, desktop, and web) that are attractive, intuitive, engaging, and efficient. At a minimum, the designer's work should provide a foundation of ease and satisfaction amongst the company’s users. At best, customers find our products’ design execution unparalleled in our industry and view our design excellence as a core tenant of our brand persona. The designer in this role should be able recognize, analyze, and synthesize best-in-class UX design as is present in large scale consumer applications, but also tackle the complexities of complex and high-density financial trading data and tools.
• Create finished design documents for use in the stake-holder review, developer implementation, and quality assurance processes.
• Follow conceptual ideas all the way through the design process, turning them into valuable features for customers.
• Present finished designs to stake-holders and developers communicating the problem the design was intended to solve, the chosen solution, and how that solution is attractive, engaging, and intuitive for the user--as well as efficient to implement and potentially reuse.
• Produce and maintain style guides for relevant products that provide clear standards for color palette, typography, font sizing, grid alignment, and spacing.
• Provide detailed supporting documentation for communicating specific design intentions to the developers implementing the designs. This may include generating annotated design sketches and writing development tickets.
• Generate any assets - images, custom fonts, vector artwork - required to complete the implementation of the designs.
• React to feedback, both from the internal product team and external customers, to indicate what design solutions might alleviate a perceived issue and contribute to the constant iterative improvement of all company products.
• Keep abreast of UX/UI trends in technology at large to ensure that the company is consistently a leader in providing the most modern and dynamic products.
• Create prototypes of interaction patterns where appropriate.
• Education level - A degree in a related design field is preferred
• Experience - Entry Level to Mid-level
• Specific skills - Good with color, typography, and elements of good style, aesthetic, and composition. Knowledge of the entire UX design process from ideation through to implementation. Ability to abstract, integrate, and synthesize overall interaction patterns from single tasks.
• Familiarity with design tools such as Sketch, Figma, Illustrator, or other equivalents.
*BONUS - Knowledge or interest in trading/finance.
- Daily catered lunch
- Full kitchen with snacks and beverages
- Dog-friendly office
- Park-like roof with games and herb garden
- In-building gym
- CTA stop a block away, Shuttle to/from Metra
- Monthly dev team outings (e.g. escape rooms, movie nights, axe-throwing, laser tag, bowling, etc.)
- Located in the West Loop--Chicago's growing center of tech, great cuisine, and high-end bars
*Job will begin remotely until it becomes safe to return to the offices.