Program Assistant, Conflict Prevention and Peace Forum- Middle East/Africa Focus
The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent, international, nonprofit organization devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences through a wide variety of workshops and conferences, fellowships and grants, summer training institutes, scholarly exchanges, research, and publications. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.ssrc.org.
The SSRC seeks a Program Assistant to work with the Conflict Prevention and Peace Forum (CPPF) with a focus on the Middle East and Africa. CPPF works to strengthen the capacity of the United Nations system for peacebuilding and the prevention, management, and resolution of conflict by providing UN decision-makers with access to expert analysis from international academics, practitioners, and others outside the UN system.
· Support program staff with overall administration of the program.
· Organize virtual, on- and off-site workshops and meetings. This includes handling logistics including booking domestic and international travel, preparing meeting agendas and other relevant meeting materials, and coordinating and facilitating correspondence with participants and all relevant constituents during workshops and meetings.
· Take minutes of complex discussions, and draft event summary notes.
· Process expenditures, including payments for consultants, advisors, and other expenses.
· Work with budgets and financial reports, and process and reconcile expenses against budgets.
· Draft grant proposals, narrative and financial reports and assist in their overall production.
· Manage the program’s online presence, which includes managing and updating program web pages and social
· Prepare news digests, program reports, and papers for publication.
· Serve as primary contact for program-related questions and correspondence.
· Other duties and additional responsibilities and projects as directed.
· Bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree in international relations and/or other area studies related to CPPF’s work on the Middle East and Africa required.
· Team player with demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and respond flexibly to changing
· Superior writing and editing skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Attention to detail and high degree of professionalism.
· High level of proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, QuickBooks), as well as
communications technology and social media.
· Previous experience with budget and office management preferred.
· Interest in international relations and politics in the Middle East and Africa, as well as the United Nations, desirable.
· Foreign language skills (complete fluency in Arabic and/or French) strongly preferred.
· Ability to travel internationally.
TERMS, SALARY AND BENEFITS
Annual salary is $40,000. Comprehensive benefits include health, dental, vision, disability, life, and gym reimbursement; $1,500 annual tuition and/or student loan reimbursement; outstanding pension plan and tax savings programs; generous vacation and sick leave; and more.
The Social Science Research Council is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunity and to cultivating and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. SSRC maintains a policy of non-discrimination with all employees and applicants for employment. All aspects of employment with the Council are made on the basis of competence, skill and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, creed, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin/ancestry, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital or domestic partner status, medical conditions (including pregnancy and/or genetic information) or physical or mental disability, citizenship status or any other categories prohibited by law.