Data/Visuals Reporter Summer Internship
We’re looking for a data and visuals intern to help our newsroom report on local education in eight cities across the U.S.
Are you a motivated undergraduate or grad student interested in telling the story of education in America? Come work with us at Chalkbeat as our data and visuals summer intern. Our newsroom has bureaus in eight cities — Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis, Newark, New York City, and most recently, Philadelphia — plus a national team. We cover the effort to improve schools for all children, especially students in the United States who have historically lacked access to a quality education.
We offer a 10-week paid internship for a data and visuals intern from June to August 2021. You will:
- Work a 40-hour week alongside some of the nation’s top education journalists.
- Clean, merge and analyze data to identify stories and clarify framing.
- Create reader-friendly visual components for stories including bar charts, maps, tables, and other custom graphics.
- Attend weekly skill-building sessions.
- Become an integral part of a dynamic, diverse newsroom. Our interns interview, report, write, and learn — they don’t make coffee or file paperwork.
Here are a few stories our data and visuals team worked on in partnership with reporters.
- How safe is the air inside your NYC classroom?
- A nationwide divide: Hispanic and Black students more likely than white students to start the year online
- Looking for a home? You’ve seen GreatSchools ratings. Here’s how they nudge families toward schools with fewer black and Hispanic students.
Who are you?
- You’re interested in public policy and social issues.
- You like finding stories in data and finding ways to visualize data to help audiences connect with news.
- Have strong data analysis, design, and development skills that you apply to help tell stories.
- You’re eager for feedback and enjoy collaborating.
- You’re flexible, a hard worker, creative, energetic, patient, and tenacious.
- Projects that demonstrate strong data analysis and visualization skills.
- A passion for and curiosity about education.
- Bonus: experience with a data analysis programming language like Python or R.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to Apply:
To complete our 2020 Internship application, please click here.
We will begin reviewing applications starting on December 1, 2020. We anticipate filling this role quickly, so we encourage you to apply by December 1. After December 1, we will review applications on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.