Summer 2021 Technical Writing Intern
To have your application materials reviewed by the hiring manager, please apply directly to the external link.
Shure offers a challenging and rewarding summer internship program. The twelve-week program is for undergraduate students who have completed at least 2 years of college, as well as graduate students. Each intern will receive a competitive salary and students who reside outside of Illinois will receive a housing stipend to cover living expenses.
Our Technical Writing team is looking for a strong writer and communicator to help us in our mission to create clear, compelling product documentation. We produce a diverse range of materials to support Shure’s customers, including user guides, instructional videos, and in-system software help. At Shure, you will be an active part of the product design and development process, collaborate with cross-functional teams, and get an inside look at the pro audio industry. You will learn strategies for writing and managing content, including structured authoring, multi-channel publishing, single sourcing, and customer-centered design. We are looking for candidates with a strong writing portfolio who are excited about working hands-on with audio products. You should have an eye for detail and enjoy interviewing people from many backgrounds to learn how things work.
• Collaborate with UX, marketing, engineering, and product management to create multimedia content
• Work hands-on with audio gear and related equipment to understand complex systems
• Conduct user testing to measure the effectiveness of content
• Contribute to research and design meetings to gain insights into customer use cases
• Conceptualize and develop illustrations to help explain how to use products
• Adapt content to publish on multiple platforms including web and mobile
• Storyboard, write, and review scripts for instructional videos
• Currently pursuing a degree in Technical Writing, Technical Communication, English, Journalism, Information Design, Instructional Design, Web Design, UX, Graphic Design or related fields and is junior or higher standing
• Portfolio of writing or design samples
• Familiarity with the principles of customer-focused design and writing to meet customer needs
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator and InDesign)
• Curiosity about new technology and how it works
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Ability to receive direction and manage small projects within a team environment
• Experience with audio products or involvement in the performing arts a plus