North Atlantic Books (NAB) is a leading independent nonprofit publisher in Berkeley, CA. We are seeking an Assistant Publicist to join our team in promoting titles in key areas like health & wellness, personal growth, and holistic lifestyle; and in emerging categories like social justice, cannabis, and trauma and somatics. NAB offers the benefits of working with a nonprofit with a conscience, and teams with Penguin Random House in distribution to reach a wide range of readers. We endeavor to walk the talk of our mission in our interactions with authors, readers, booksellers, and the community at large. North Atlantic Books is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Position: The assistant publicist is responsible for implementing 3-4 book publicity campaigns per season, providing administrative support to the department, and doing additional media research, events, and campaign support as needed. They act as a first-line point of contact for our authors, field publicity inquiries and media requests, attend weekly publicity meetings, and pitch books and authors to relevant outlets. Additionally, they organize galley and review copy mailings, coordinate reporting, and assist with other administrative departmental tasks.
- Develop and implement 3-4 publicity campaigns per season
- Assist with building media lists, using tools including the Cision media database
- Assist with pitching authors to media
- Send out event inquiries; assist authors in booking events and soliciting local media coverage
- Participate in weekly publicity team meetings
- Liaise with authors to provide guidance and support in the publicity and marketing process
- Provide administrative support with ARC and review copy mailings; ordering galleys; entering publicity hits into our internal reporting system; and other tasks as needed
- Represent NAB at trade shows, festivals, and other outreach opportunities
- Coordinate the NAB newsletter
- Assist with social media as needed
- Support with high-level publicity campaigns as needed
- Along with the Sales and Marketing teams, pitch select titles to the Penguin Random House sales team six times annually
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize within a deadline-oriented environment
- Interest and experience in amplifying diverse voices
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Desire to work in a team-oriented environment
- Experience with and/or affinity and passion for subject areas North Atlantic publishes
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Experience (work, internship, or volunteer) in publishing or other media preferred
- Knowledge of/experience with Cision, Adobe Creative Suite, and G Suite/Google apps preferred
- Experience with (or willingness to learn) working in a Mac-based office
Marketing & Publicity Manager
Salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position at 40 hours/week. Excellent benefits: health, vision, and dental plan; 401K; paid sabbatical; flexible spending plan. Pleasant central Berkeley neighborhood and flexible work environment.
To apply: please email your résumé, cover letter, and where you heard about this job to Bevin Donahue at email@example.com with the subject line “Assistant publicist position.” No phone calls, please!