UX/Design Research Internship (Summer)
The iRobot ID/UX team employs a user-centered design approach in order to optimize business strategies, build our brand, develop rich experiences, and ensure user satisfaction. Our group is responsible for defining the physical and digital experiences of iRobot. The Design Research Intern will collaborate with Industrial, UX, and UI designers, assisting our team in understanding and defining iRobot product and service experiences. Their research insights will help inform the design of iRobot physical and digital products in development. The intern will also have an opportunity to pursue an independent design research project that can be leveraged as a portfolio piece.
This is a summer internship position from May/June – August 2019.
Essential Functions/Job Duties
- Works as part of a multidisciplinary team to conduct user research to support the design of products and services. This may involve travel to user homes to observe product and service usage in context.
- Further the quality and influence of our research and design practices as well as iRobot’s general understanding of consumers to inform future products, software, services and ecosystem.
- Work collaboratively with teams to identify business questions and research needs throughout the product development process, from concept phase to post-launch.
- Develop and share research insights and design recommendations.
- Transfer knowledge to internal teams via well-articulated reports/presentations.
- English proficiency (written and spoken) required
- Strong oral, written, and presentation communication skills; can present findings concisely and effectively. Able to drive common understanding with cross-functional work partners.
- Experience writing research protocols.
- Experience moderating user research; can moderate research studies in office and home environments. Able to put participants at ease.
- Refined understanding of research best practices for discovery research, usability testing, and large scale surveys.
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly build strong relationships within and across organizations.