Advancement Intern. Summer 2019
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Advancement Intern applications for Summer 2019. Applications must be received by March 1, 2019.
CST’s Advancement Department creates and executes fundraising strategy to solicit the Theater’s contributed revenue through corporate, foundation, government and individual sources for annual operations. The Advancement team is responsible for the stewardship and cultivation of donors through events including the annual Gala.
The Advancement Intern will assist with Chicago Shakespeare Theater's fundraising initiatives in support of the Theater's programming. The intern will gain a broad understanding of fundraising including coordinating stewardship activities and special events, researching prospects and general administrative duties. The intern will also gain valuable experience using the donor and ticketing database, Tessitura.
While Chicago Shakespeare Theater internships are structured as a commitment of 10 weeks between May/June-August/September 2019, the program is flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of selected interns. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years’ undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework disciplines related to: arts administration, not-for-profit management, business management and administration, sales, communications, marketing, English
- Competency in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Graphic design skills a plus.
- Exceptional organizational and oral and written communication skills
- Strong conceptual skills for use in developing/maintaining database applications
- Must be able to work effectively as a key support member
- Must be precise and attentive to details
- Assist in planning special events and/or production openings
- Assist in execution of mailings and e-solicitation projects
- Assist in research and maintaining donor profiles
- Data entry and maintenance
- General office support
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing
To be considered for an Advancement Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest/s in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare's Advancement Department at email@example.com.