Technical Theatre Interns
Internship at The Sharon L. Morse Performing Arts Center and The Studio Theatre at Tierra Del Sol
May 30th – September 1st, 2019
The Sharon L. Morse Performing Arts Center and The Studio Theatre at Tierra Del Sol are seeking interns in Technical Theatre for the summer of 2019. Located in The Villages of Florida approximately 50 miles North of Orlando and 60 miles South of Gainesville, The Sharon L. Morse Performing Arts Center and The Studio Theatre at Tierra Del Sol, are a professional road house and regional theatre (respectively) which houses plays/musicals and concerts on the road and simultaneously operates a professional regional theatre. Qualifications for Technical Theatre interns in the summer of 2019 will include/but not be limited to the following:
Technical Theatre Interns:
· Will be used as carpenters, scenic artists, electricians, sound engineers, and run crew.
· Assist in constructing sets for all four of the shows for The Studio’s 2019 – 2019 season.
· Assist in the daily operations as well as the maintenance of The Sharon.
· Assist in our 2019 Summer Camp for children.
· Must have a Valid Driver’s License.
Skills required: basic shop skills, basic power tools, basic stage electrics, ability to read draftings.
College students (at the sophomore-senior level) working towards a degree in an aspect of theatrical design or technology (i.e. Scenic, Lighting, Technical Direction or Stage Management) is preferred.
All interns will fall under the supervision of the Director of Education, with daily assignments provided by the intern’s direct supervisor. Interns chosen are not only a representative of our institutions, but of The Villages Corporation. Excellent communication skills, razor sharp punctuality, and the ability to present oneself in a professional demeanor, at all times, will be expected.
All Interns of The Sharon L. Morse Performing Arts Center and The Studio Theatre at Tierra Del Sol are expected to be:
- Detail oriented
- Follow directions well
- Maintain efficiently and consistent work habits
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have Intermediate mathematical skills
- The ability to adapt to change in assignment with little notice
- Proactive work habits
- Enjoy creative problem-solving
Interns chosen will be provided housing and a minimum of 30 hours of work per week/ paid hourly at the rate of minimum wage for the state of Florida ($8.46 per/hour effective January 1st, 2019).
Instructions for Submission:
· Interested parties should submit a cover letter and resume with three professional references (please do not exceed three references) as one document in PDF format to kenneth.constant@Thevillages.com
· A pre-screening/interview via Skype, Facetime or other video conferencing software will be required for all potential interns whose submissions are being considered.
· Potential applications who need to return to classes before September 1st, should still submit resumes. A concluding date can be negotiated based on said person’s availability.
· At the conclusion of residency an exit interview will be required.
Please direct questions to:
The Sharon L. Morse PAC, The Studio Theatre at Tierra Del Sol
No phone calls please.