Graphic Design Internship
Do you have a desire to gain experience with graphic design for museum applications such as wayfinding, environmental graphics, and exhibition graphics? The NMAH Graphic Design Internship will provide you with real-world experience in the application of graphic design within the museum environment. Develop graphic design skills, practice your design critique and presentation skills, work directly with professional exhibition designers, and expand your portfolio of design projects through museum exhibitions.
**Please note: as part of your SOLAA application to this position, please include provide either a link or a PDF to your portfolio!**
Goal: Overall, this internship aims to provide students with real-world experience in the graphic design in the museum context.
Learning Objectives: By the end of this internship, the intern will be able to:
- Understand Graphic Design for Environmental Graphics inside and outside of the museum building
- Understand implementation of a museum-wide graphic identity
- Understand graphic design for wayfinding and building signage
- Understand the use of typography and graphic design for museum exhibitions
- Prepare graphic design production packages
Expected Responsibilities: During the internship, the intern should expect to:
- Work with existing Graphic Identity Style Guide to produce museum wayfinding and building signage
- Work with exhibitions project teams to develop exhibition graphics such as labels, environmental graphics and exhibition-specific graphic identities
- Attend exhibition project meetings and present exhibition design concepts
Ideal Qualifications: The ideal intern applicant is/has:
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- A desire to gain experience with visual and experiential storytelling through museum exhibitions
Audience: This internship is generalized to provide individuals initial experience in this field and specialized, for individuals who have experience in this field. This internship is intended for 3-4 interns.
Timeline: This internship takes place during every internship cycle--spring, summer, or fall. This internship can be part time or full time.
Financial Information: This internship does not provide a stipend.