Intern / Assistant to the Artistic Director
Description: Assistant to the Artistic Director reports directly to the Artistic Director (AD). Intern acts as the primary support to Artistic Director, with unique opportunities to shadow AD and learn all that goes into the Artistic Director role for a mid-size non-profit theatre. Excellent opportunity for Theatre students with long term goals in Arts Administration and Artistic Direction. The internship will culminate in a special project.
You Will Learn:
· What goes into Season Selection – from Start to Finish
· The Many Roles and Artistic Director Plays
· The Connection between Artistic Choices and Business Management
· Calendar Management
· How New Work Commissions are Born
· Current Trends in American Theatre
Duties May Include but Not Limited To:
· Show-specific Dramaturgical & Other Research
· Read and Critique Plays as Assigned by AD
· Maintaining AD’s Appointment Calendar
· Set up and Manage AD Meetings and Reservations
· Handle E-mails on behalf of AD
· Proofread AD’s Writing
· Coordinate with Playwrights and Agents regarding Commissions
· Attend Department (Production, Artistic, Development, Marketing, etc.) Meetings and Rehearsals as Needed
· Attend All Staff Meetings
· Take and Distribute Meeting Minutes as Requested
· Liaise with Staff from All Departments regarding AD’s Needs and Requests
· Maintain AD’s Expense Receipts and Reports
· Theatre Major or Minor required
· Strong Attention to Detail
· Strong Organizational Skills
· Solid Research Skills
· Excellent Interpersonal Communication Skills – Written and Verbal
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (incl Word & Excel)
This position is available for the Full Season, or for Fall, Spring or Summer Sessions.
International Applicants: San Francisco Playhouse cannot sponsor or assist applicants in the visa application process. For more information, please contact your school’s International Programs office, or the United States embassy in your country.
There is a monthly $150.00 travel stipend offered to offset the transportation costs.